Thursday, January 15, 2009

Circle of Life


SO, If Marathoning is Life,,, then Disney Marathoning is the Circle of Life,,

The Start of the Marathon is amazing,,, from the pickup at the Wilderness Lodge at 3:45 AM,,,, you are taken to the Parking lot at EPCOT,,, and then need to walk back towards the Staging area,,, we drop off the bags with clothes, etc for after the race at the baggage tents,,, get in line for the porto-potties,,, that taken care of,,,, about 15.000 folks start to move down a back stage road,,, and then to our Start corrals,,, Mickey , Minnie, Donald, and Goofy are on stage,,,Music playing,,, we sing the National Anthem,,, and then the fireworks go off,, huge flame of fire shoot into the dark,,, and we are off,,,,, not able to run for about 1/2 mile or more,,,,, its warm , even for near 6am,,, and the road is well lite,,, there are thousands of runners,, the scene is amazing !!!!!!!! as we loop around EPCOT,,, I am taking inventory,,, feet,,, legs,,, arms,,,, I actually feel ok,,,,,

Then off to mile 5 ,,,, and then World Drive,,, and we are headed toward the Magic Kingdom,, there are many water stops,,, and Power aide,,,, tons of folks along the road ways as we move to mile 6 and 7,,,, I am thinking take my time,,, I can get to mile 13 ,,,, and I don't care about the Pace,.... the closer we get to the MK the more people. - I see Ryan and Nancy just after mile 9,,,,,They say that Annette is about 6 minutes ahead of me,, we go past the Contemporary ,,,into the MK,,, and Right up Main Street USA !! WOW ,,,,, we go around the back of the castle,,, and thru Cinderella's castle,, make a right and out the back of the park near Splash Mt..

Mile 11,,12,,, 13 and we past the 1/2 way point - and I am still ok,,, I have taken water and Poweraide at every stop,,, and now that the sun is well up its starting to get warmer,,,,, I take the 1/2 of Vicadin that I was saving,,,, my leg feels OK,,, But I feel that I cannot push it,,,, Miles 11 - 15 are sorta barren,,,, there are a characters at some spots,,, and a DJ or two, I am thinking that OK,,, I made 13 ,, now lets do the 5 to mile 18,,, We get thru the 16th,,, and the Animal Kingdom,,,, and then I am looking to mile 18,,, it has been a harder 5 miles,,, the 1st 13 seemed to go quicker than this 5,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ok,,, so now 5 more,,,, and then it will be 23 !!

Ugh,, as we get to mile 20,,, I notice that - even at this death pace - I am passing those who are walking,, now at 20 there is short out and back loop so you see folks going the other way right across the double yellow lines,,,, we enter the Hollywood studios ,,,, OMG ,,,I might finish,,,, there is chocolate here and I take 3 of the Small bars,,,, I should say that along the way there has been bannas, Poweraide,,, and most of all ,,, my new Best friend, BIOFREEZE,,,, I have been rubbing that on my legs from about mile 15,,,,, and no cramps,,, yet,,,, ok,, we are in the Studios, and I have missed the last mile marks,,, I ask a woman near me if she saw mile 22 ,,, she says we are headed toward 24 !! what good news,,,,,, Down the path from Hollywood studios toward the BOARDWALK resort,,, and then across the small bridge to the Yacht and Beach Club.... right before the bridge ,, I stop to get some Bio Freeze,,, and as I put my leg up on a chair the whole leg cramps !!! boom ,,I pullit off the chair,,, the folks ask if I am ok,, and I say forget the BIO Freeze,,,,,and I just move on,,,, down the walkway past the Y and B clubs,,, thru the International Gateway INTO or BACK into EPCOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! around the World showcase past England,,, France, Morocco,,, Japan, the USA,,,,,,,,,,,, Germany, Italy, Norway, Mexico,,, right at the Main sidewalk, and the huge GEOsphere,, SpaceShip earth is right in front of us,,,,,, down that walkway,,, right out thru a service exit,,, and MILE 26 !! I High-five Chip and Dale,,, and can see the Finish ..........................

Then ,,, its over,,,,, I go past Pinocchio,,, Stitch,,, and get my thermo-blanket,,, and they Place that Medal over my head,,,,, a bit emotional,,,, get a water, and my photo taken,,,, I find my bag in the tent,,, and look for Nancy, Ryan, and Annette,,,, I find them near the H Tent !!

No comments: