Thursday, August 5, 2010

Glad he waited for me....


October 14th , 1976 I was sitting in the upper deck, 1st row,, right behind home plate... Chris Chambliss led off the bottom of the 9th - on Littell's 1st Pitch BTW - with a homerun that won the AL pennant for the Yankees, and sent them to the World series for the 1st time in 12 years.... That was a game I have never forgotten,,,, and the only Post Season game I have ever been to...

On August 4th, 2010 , I am seated in the Right Field Bleachers,,,, about my ususal spot - Row 14,,,, right in the Midst of the Creatures...... Bottom of the 1st,,, Jeter Singles,,, Swish watches a called 3rd strike, Tex pops out to 3rd base,,,, and here comes Alex,.... 2 fast balls inside,,,, everybody has been busting him in with Hard stuff, and throwing him curve balls away,,, I no sooner say to the guy seated next to me,,, "someone is gonna leave one of the Fastballs out over the plate and Alex is gonna crush it" .... and Boom ! Dead Center,,, #600 into Monument park... The Place went nuts,,, there was some sorta scrum in the Bleachers,,,, with people high fiveing,,, and chest bumping it was nuts,.,... Then the A-ROd ,, A-ROd chant , the Curtain call,,,, and Best of all (and the TV missed) was the standing ovation he got as he headed to 3rd base to start the 2nd inning,,,, It will be a moment that I will never forget..


Now let all the asshole's chime in with the Steroid words, tainted records, etc etc... How Alex is not the beloved figure ,, Jeter is,,. We as Americans build up our Sport and entertainment heros , far beyond what they deserve... and then Can't wait to tear them down,,, See also - Tiger Woods.. People Hate Alex because he is Extreemly Talented , Good Looking,,, SUPER RICH,,, Yep , he can say stupid shit once in a while , but I think that is getting better,,,(he must be listening to Derek) He comes across as Disingenuine,,, yep... But as Yankee Fans - you better realize that you are watching one of HISTORIES great players,,, a guy that was an MVP shortstop,, came to NY ,, switched postion to 3rd base,,, Won an MVP, a World Series (if he does not homer off Nathan in the 1st Game of the Division series last year maybe they don't win crap) and one day might break the all time Home run record..

SO, you can go right on hating A-Rod - he will go right on hitting, but one day -you will find yourself having to tell your Children or Grandchildren,,, "Yes I saw Alex Rodriguez play baseball , and yes,,, He was GREAT !"
And I get to say,,, YES - I was there when #600 went into Monument park !

No comments: